So I made butter from cream today. I feel invincible. It's super easy in the Vitamix. Took under 5 minutes to do. The flavor is outrageous. Here are the instructions:
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1) Put the cream in the Vitamix, secure lid, select Variable 1.
2) Turn the machine on, and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to high.
3) Blend until the cream thickens. You'll hear the difference in the machine. It's about 10 seconds. (You now have whipped cream!)
4) Stop the machine, grab the spatula, and scrape down the sides.
5) Put the machine on variable 5. Turn on until you hear the difference in sound again. (a few seconds)
6) Stop the machine, scrape the sides again, repeat this process until the buttermilk starts to separate. It will become chunky and liquidy. Once this starts to happen, repeat the blending and scraping 2-3 more times. (You will have turned on and off the Vitamix about 20 times during this process)
7) Pour into a bowl, strain out the liquid (This is the buttermilk, which you can use in recipes!) You can put the butter into a cheesecloth to squeeze out the rest, or just use a spatula in a dish. If you have a little bit of leftover liquid in the butter, it's okay.
Voila. Fresh butter!!